Sugar is a book that I wasn't sure about reading. It has some triggers for me, and i was apprehensive. I'm so glad that I did read it though. Sugar is a teenager in high school. She is obese and lives at home with her verbally and phy sically abusive mother and Brother. Sugar is her mother's careta ker, bec ause, Sugar's mom is bed-bound due to extre me obesi ty. Sugar struggles with bullyi ng, self-est eem, binge eating and her general self wo rth. Enter: Even, a good look ing, slim guy who rides a motorcy cle. She obvio usly crushes on him, and he shows her that she is worth a lot more than she believes that she is. He shows her that her mother is toxic, and her brother is an alco holic brute. Slow ly, Even helps her break free of her toxic lifestyle and start caring for herself. This book tackles some tougher issues, such as grief, depress ion, binge eating and the cycle that keeps people from putt ing themselves first. 5/5 stars on Goodreads.
Schizo by Nic Sheff is a YA contemporary book about a boy who experiences a psychotic break and is diagnosed with with schizophrenia following a traumatic event in the MC's life. Throughout this book, you get an inside perspective on dealing with schizophrenia. Though this was a story that I enjoyed reading, I would have liked to see more of how the illness manifests and some more psychological explanations. The ending has a bit of a twist which made the story more interesting. I gave this book 3/5 🌟🌟🌟 There are some trigger warnings in this book. So be mindful if you are triggered by mental breakdown and things of the sort.
I haven't posted in a while, and I apologize. Sometimes life can cause my train of thought to de-rail. Anywho...back on track. Today is August 5, 2018 and since I last posted, I read a total of 11 physical books and listened to 2 audio books. I am going to discuss the books that have stuck with me. These are either 4 or 5 star reads. Difficult Women by Roxane Gay This book caught my attention while watching BookTube. I had seen so many people showing love for this book, and I finally decided to buy it. I was completely blown away! I read this in a course of 2 days (work cuts into my reading time..ugh..) and I couldn't put it down. I would read it while cooking dinner and doing laundry,,,etc. LOL This is a collection of short stories about women who have faced some adversity or have survived abusive relationships or sexual assault or are all around just bad ass bitches. Some of these stories were very hard to read because I can identify with the circum...
Comments
Post a Comment